WHICH IS BETTER – pharmaceutical drugs or natural remedies?
Neither, on its own, is best because there is a time and situation for both. It’s good to know the pros and cons of both before deciding what is best for you.
In the last 60 years some astounding developments in lifesaving and life-enhancing drugs have been made. As Big Pharma emerged in this growth, the regulatory agencies such as the FDA in the USA and similar agencies worldwide, became very strict in the
control of research methods and claims to ensure efficacy and safety.
The pros of pharmaceutical drugs
- They’re readily available.
- They give almost instant results.
- They’re developed primarily to eradicate symptoms.
The cons of pharmaceutical drugs:
- The body sees the drug as ‘alien’ and builds up resistance to it.
- There is a risk of being needlessly and overly medicated.
- Negative interaction with other drugs can cause complications.
- More medication is needed sometimes to counteract the side effects of existing medication.
Being registered with a regulatory agency does not guarantee safety – adverse effective from synthetic drugs accounts for 8% of hospital admissions in USA and is the 4th leading cause of death.
Apothecaries and healers have been discovering amazing treatments and cures for thousands of years and as many as 25% of today’s pharmaceutical drugs are still based on these natural remedies. Natural healers continue to focus on holistic treatment, while pharmaceutical scientists focus on eliminating the symptoms of disease. The World Health Organization regulates natural remedies and although their requirements may differ slightly from agencies like the FDA, they are stringent.
The pros of natural remedies
- They’re easily assimilated into the body – there is no resistance.
- They support systems and processes that have become deficient and remove unnecessary excesses.
- They work on a holistic level and give additional benefits over and above symptom relief.
The cons of natural remedies
- Some herbs are dangerous if not taken correctly (even fatal in extreme cases).
- Potential adverse reaction with some scripted medications – your doctor must be informed of any you are taking.
- It may take a little while to feel the benefi ts, as they work on the whole system.
Natural remedies work on a holistic level, doing a ‘spring cleaning’ job. They work gently and support the body’s systems and processes, giving additional benefits over and above symptom relief.
Take responsibility for your health by understanding the treatments available and asking questions of your medical team. By being better informed, you’re able to make wise choices about what is best for you and your body.